Thursday, April 1, 2010

Self Portrait #1 3/26/2010


Recently I have started a series of self-portraits. These works were done out of a circumstance of necessity. I have been immobilized due to a foot surgery and this left me with no alternative but to literally look into the mirror. Forced to choose one subject.
What started out as a mere drawing exercise became a lesson in the rediscovery of familiar ground. Without the need to implant some ulterior symbolic, allowed for meaning to emerge, even if all that was revealed was the wrinkles and deformities of my visage, it attempted at the removal of all romanticism and vanity.
This was the first in the series. It was straight forward in almost every aspect, even to the holding of the mirror. At this point I was not thinking series exercise, in fact I was not sure there would be a next drawing, I just needed to draw.

No comments:

Post a Comment